Exerpt from National Register of HIstoric Places
The Okemah Townsite Company then leased the rights to the land, and town lots were sold at an auction on April 22, 1902. There were no titles to the property at the beginning as the Indian allottees could not legally sell their land, which was composed of 160 acres each. So to obtain title, a lease was taken for one year from the allottees by the townsite Company. The company then sold town lots and gave quit claim deeds to the property. These were the only titles until 1903, when an Act of Congress gave the allottees the permission to sell their allotments for townsite purposes. The citizens of the town, who paid for the property, selected a board of trustees to prorate the property and deed it to the person holding the quit claim deed after they paid the stipulated sum. The price designated by the Government to be paid was $50 an acre. The town was then incorporated in 1904.see original document. Okemah was named for a Kickapoo Chief and means "something with a sharp point". When the town was founded, a fence which encircled the entire townsite was constructed to keep out meandering longhorns. After the town was established, tents were the only buildings for months, with lumber and building equipment brought in later from Fort Smith, Arkansas. Water had to be hauled into town, and was sold for 25 cents a barrel. The first train on the Fort Smith and Western Railroad reached Okemah on May 12, 1903. Prior to that time all goods and materials were carted overland from the Oklahoma towns of Weleetka, Okmulgee, and Wetumka.
First Baptist and First Methodist Churches of Okemah open.
1905 Okemah's first school built and opened on the Old Wilson school site.
Learn more about Woody Guthrie
Woodrow Wilson "Woody" Guthrie (July 14, 1912 – October 3, 1967) was an American singer-songwriter and folk musician whose musical legacy includes hundreds of political, traditional and children's songs, ballads and improvised works. (click to learn more)If you happen to be walking the streets of Okemah, Oklahoma you can visit several historical places including Woodies Signature on Broadway
Learn more about William R. Pogue
Pogue was the pilot of Skylab 4 (third and final manned visit to the Skylab orbital workshop), launched November 16, 1973, and concluded February 8, 1974. This was the longest manned flight (84 days, 1 hour and 15 minutes) in the history of manned space exploration to date. Pogue was accompanied on the record-setting 34.5-million-mile flight by Gerald P. Carr (commander) and Dr. Edward G. Gibson (science-pilot). They successfully completed 56 experiments, 26 science demonstrations, 15 subsystem detailed objectives, and 13 student investigations during their 1,214 revolutions of the earth. (click to learn more)They also acquired extensive earth resources observations data using Skylab's earth resources experiment package camera and sensor array and logged 338 hours of operations of the Apollo Telescope Mount which made extensive observations of the sun's solar processes. He logged 13 hours and 31 minutes in two EVAs outside the orbital workshop. Pogue retired from both the United States Air Force and NASA on September 1, 1975. He was self-employed as a consultant to aerospace and a producer of general interest videos on space flight.